1. Set an intention to find the answer that you’re looking for regarding a specific challenge or problem, then … forget about it! 🙂
2. Declare it a mini-vacation, and do what you like to do when it’s vacation time. 🙂 Mini-vacations might be even more relaxing and enjoyable than having only one bigger vacation/ year. And your relationships (both professional and personal) will benefit from your uplifting mood on Monday (Tuesday)! Plus, you might even get the answer you’re looking for (or get closer), because relaxation allows our unconscious mind to bring answers into our awareness.
3. Enjoy time spent with your social circle (family, friends, new acquaintances). Leave blame/criticism, contempt, defensiveness and stonewalling at the week-end’s “gate”. There is a reason why there are called “The Four Horsemen of Apocalypse”. You can take them back on Monday, if you still want them. Meantime, notice how you feel this week-end by not tapping into any of them. You might want to leave them behind forever. 🙂
4. Use your social circle as a playground to notice what behaviors trigger you, and what can you do about them. Chances are those triggers show up in some of your professional relationships as well. Why not come out of this week-end with a game plan to overcome those triggers? 🙂
In a coaching session, my client realized that his trigger came from his own assumption about a colleague’s behavior. Challenging him further, he noticed how the same assumption affected the relationship with his son.
5. Catching up with what couldn’t be done during the week is not the best idea, but if your really want to do this do include some mini-breaks to enjoy Summer: take time to look at the sky, go for a short walk, or whatever you need to disconnect a little bit. I’ll leave it to you to notice the effect of this tip on the relationship with your … work!
If you spend your week-end alone, apply the above points to the relationship with … yourself! You deserve some good treatment as well! 🙂
Any other tips you’d like to share?
Gabriela Casineanu, M.Eng, MBA, ORSC